How you feeling at work?
Do you ever feel tired, flustered, hot, stressed or even starving hungry? Did you know that the body will send those signals to the brain when you’re actually just dehydrated!?
Check out the exert from bepure.co.nz below that could change your life!
But first here’s a challenge for you…
Take the “The Hydro-Fatigue Challenge”
- Next time you’re feeling one of the above mentioned feeling, rate that feeling out of 10..
- 10 for feeling great, and 1 for feeling absolutely shit!
- Then drink “as much water as you can comfortably drink”.
- Wait 3 minutes and again, rate how your feeling out of 10..
Did your rating increase?
Check out this Exert from bepure.co.nz which explains the importance of water. The how’s, why’s and what you should be doing to stay hydrated.
Our body is made up of 60% water, so making sure that you are getting optimal amounts of water is essential for feeling good with optimal health and energy.
Water transports nutrients throughout the body, aids in digestion, regulates temperature, facilitates all pathways of detoxification, protects our joints, promotes healthy bowel movements, improves mental concentration and relieves fatigue.
So as you can see, water is pretty important. In the summer months, it’s even more important because the warmer weather places demand on our natural detoxification pathways due to increased body temperature and sweating. We are also often more active outdoors in summer, meaning we need to replace any water lost due to physical activity.
When helping someone on a wellness journey one of the first things I do is check if they are drinking enough water. Often they aren’t. If we all drank nothing but water, the health implications would be huge – even if we changed nothing else. Not only do you get the benefits of adequate hydration for bodily function, but you remove the processed sugars, chemicals and artificial sweeteners found in fizzy drink, juice, flavored water and flavored milk.
Making changes to consistently drink enough, quality, water is a step we can all implement easily.
HOW MUCH WATER SHOULD YOU BE DRINKING?
It is important to drink the right amount of water for you according to your weight. To work this out the formula is:
0.033 litres per kg of body weight, which roughly equates to the following amounts:
- 60 kg = 2 liters
- 75 kg = 2.5 liters
- 90 kg= 3 liters
- 105 kg = 3.5 liters
Note from Kerry: Do those amounts seem crazy now? Seem crazy for now? Aim for 2 Litres a day – and feel the effects! Better sleep, digestion, skin, energy!
Only water and caffeine free herbal teas count towards your water intake. Tea and coffee does not count and can actually increase dehydration. If you drink one coffee it takes two glasses of water to break even as far as hydration goes.
TIPS FOR INCREASING YOUR WATER INTAKE
- First thing in the morning have a big glass of water with lemon squeezed into it. The citric acid will also help jump-start your detoxification pathways.
- Invest in a quality glass or stainless steel water bottle and have it with you at all times. If you have a 750ml bottle, mentally calculate how many times you need to finish it for your body weight. For a 60kg person, you need just under 3 bottles. Once you’ve figured this out, you can space the water out through your day. Many clients at the BePure clinic have “water targets” they aim for by midday each day.
- If you prefer drinking hot drinks, caffeine free teas such as chamomile, peppermint, licorice or rooibos will all count towards your water intake. So does bone broth, which will also support your gut health.
THIS WEEK’S CHALLENGE
For this week we’d like you to work out your own personal water requirement and commit to drinking that amount for 7 days. Use some of the tips above to get you started. If you currently drink a lot less than you need, work up to your personal hydration needs. Aim for 2 L a day and build from there.
Stay tuned for the next blog!